Just before he went to college JOHN KRASINSKI taught English in Costa Rica. One day he was swimming in the ocean, and he saved a woman who got swept away by a riptide. He said, “Literally in three seconds the girl had been swept 150 yards out. My mom was a lifeguard and taught us to swim very early. I just went out and tried to save her. It was really weird . . . like the girl was asking me to let her die. But I got her back . . . Granted, not everybody needs to have life-or-death experiences, but that changed my entire life. All of a sudden I grew up.”
On June 12, 1994, Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were brutally murdered and the “Trial of the Century” would fill the headlines for the next 16 months. O.J. Simpson: The Lost Confession was recorded in 2006. The special airs March 11 on Fox.
CHIP and JOANNA GAINES from “Fixer Upper” have a new show coming to HGTV. It’s a spin-off where they go behind the scenes of the main show. It’ll be called “Fixer Upper: Behind the Design”. Joanna says, “I can’t wait to show our fans how every piece of the design comes together before the final reveal. “I want to nail every detail so that, when we walk away, Chip and I know we’ve given a family the one-of-a-kind home of their dreams.” The show premieres on April 10th.
The unofficial Oscar goodie bags for all the nominees will feature the usual plane tickets, holidays, and high-end cosmetics. But thanks to the #MeToo movement, they’re also giving out PEPPER SPRAY . . . and a kit that can detect if a drink has been ROOFIED.
The Oscars are this Sunday . . .
- Best Picture. The Favorite: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Best Director. The Favorite: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
- Best Actor. The Favorite: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
- Best Actress. The Favorite: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards . . .”
- Best Supporting Actor. The Favorite: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards . . .”
- Best Supporting Actress. The Favorite: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
- Best Adapted Screenplay. The Favorite: “Call Me By Your Name”
- Best Original Screenplay. The Favorite: “Get Out”
- Best Animated Feature. The Favorite: “Coco”
- Best Original Score. The Favorite: “The Shape of Water”
There are several firsts that could happen at this year’s Oscars . . . and “Time” magazine has a list of records that might be broken. Here are six highlights:
- If Christopher Plummer wins Best Supporting Actor for “All the Money in the World”, he’ll become the oldest winner of an Oscar for acting. He’s 88. He’s also the current record-holder, after winning Best Supporting Actor for “Beginners” in 2012 . . . when he was 82.
- If 22-year-old Timothée Chalamet wins Best Actor for “Call Me By Your Name”, he’ll become the youngest Best Actor recipient in history.
- Rachel Morrison could become the first woman to win for Best Cinematography. She’s nominated for “Mudbound”.
- If Jordan Peele wins Best Director for “Get Out”, he’ll be the first African-American in history to do so.
- If “The Shape of Water” wins Best Picture, it’ll be the first time the award has gone to a science fiction movie.
- The Hugh Jackman movie “Logan” could become the FIRST live-action superhero movie to win Best Adapted Screenplay, but it’s considered a long-shot.
Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway are returning to the Dolby Theatre stage to present the Academy Award for Best Picture, according to reports. One year ago, the duo presented the same award to the wrong movie when they announced La La Land had won, when Moonlight was the actual winner. Beatty was handed the wrong envelope because the accountant on envelope duty was tweeting during the show. The Oscars are Sunday on ABC.
The ACM nominees were announced yesterday, and Chris Stapleton leads the pack with eight. Thomas Rhett picked up six, and Keith Urban got five. We also found out that Reba McEntire is returning to host. It’ll be her 15th time. Entertainer of the Year category is all male – Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Garth Brooks, Chris Stapleton, and Keith Urban. Miranda Lambert did get another Female Vocalist of the Year nomination. If she wins, it’ll be her ninth consecutive trophy in that category. It would also make her the winningest artist in ACM history. She and Brooks & Dunn are tied with 29 awards. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are nominated in the Vocal Duo of the Year category. That’s on the strength of their duets album, “The Rest of Our Life”. CBS will air the “53rd Annual Academy of Country Music Awards” on April 15th. Maren Morris, Kelsea Ballerini and Jason Aldean are also among the nominees.
CARLY PEARCE was on a plane at 35,000 feet when she found out about her first ACM Nomination . . . for New Female Vocalist of the Year. There’s a photo on Twitter, and the entire cabin is sharing her joy.
DEVIN DAWSON is one of the new guys that I feel is going to be around a long time. He writes songs every single day. It’s his obsession. His publisher used to get mad because he’d write on weekends too, and he thought Devin needed a break to replenish his juice! But Devin said, “when I’m inspired, I don’t want to push it down. I just want to keep it going.” He performed “All On Me” on Wednesday’s “Jimmy Fallon” . . . and he found out yesterday that he picked up his first ACM Nomination, for New Male Vocalist of the Year.
With everything going on with Ryan Seacrest, yesterday on “Live!”, KELLY RIPA told him, “You are a privilege to work with, and I adore you.”
Eric and Courtney Waldrop expanded their family which already includes three children by adding sextuplets. Courtney gave birth to Layke, Tag, Blu, Rawlings, Rivers and Rayne on December 11. TLC will feature the Waldrops in a documentary this fall.
NEW MOVIES: Death Wish: Bruce Willis stars as Dr. Paul Kersey ———–Red Sparrow: Jennifer Lawrence stars
Saturday at 11:30 p.m. on NBC: Charles Barkley hosts “Saturday Night Live”
Sunday at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on ABC: Jimmy Kimmel returns to host “The 90th Annual Academy Awards”.
Luke Combs is 28.
Reggie Bush is 33.
Ben Roethlisberger is 36
Bryce Dallas Howard is 37
Rebel Wilson is 38.
Jon Bon Jovi is 56.
Jay Osmond is 63.
Laraine Newman is 66.