A new study says that medical dramas, particularly “Grey’s”, can give you false expectations when it comes to the realities of medical care, treatment, and recovery. Doctors watched all 269 episodes of the show, focusing on the 290 trauma patients. And they found that their experiences didn’t necessarily mirror those of REAL trauma patients. For example, the cases on the show tended to be more severe, and progress more quickly from the ER to the OR. Also, their conclusions were more cut-and-dried. On the show, patients tended to either die or get sent home pretty quickly. In reality, trauma patients tend to take a lot longer before they’re ready to go home. Also, 22% of trauma patients on “Grey’s Anatomy” DIED . . . compared with 7% in the real world.
After ASHTON KUTCHER divorced DEMI MOORE in 2013, he decided to get away from it all. Big time. On DAX SHEPARD’s “Armchair Expert” podcast, he said, “I went to the mountains for a week by myself. I did no food, no drink . . . just water and tea. I took all my computers away, my phone, my everything. “I was there by myself, so there was no talking. I just had a notepad, a pen and water and tea . . . for a week.” Around day two, he started to hallucinate. So he did Tai Chi . . . even though he has no martial arts training. Then he wrote letters to all his past girlfriends to settle any grudges or regrets . . . and when he got back, he sent them. “It was like an [Alcoholics Anonymous] exercise. I was like, ‘I’ve probably done some damage.’ So I just cleared [the] palette.”
MAREN MORRIS is getting married snext month. She got together with Cassadee Pope and RaeLynn and at least 14 other friends for a bachelorette party. They stayed inside instead of hitting a club . . . and they pounded margaritas, “danced like crazy,” and sang a bunch of One Direction songs. Maren posted a photo and wrote, “Not sure what I did in a past life to deserve these people, but I’m thankful.”
It was 25 years ago this month that TOBY KEITH released “Should’ve Been a Cowboy”. It ended up being his first Number One hit, and it went on to be the most played country song of the ’90s. He’s honoring it by launching the “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” Tour 25. It’ll kick-off April 6th in Salt Lake City, Utah . . . and run into the fall. Toby wrote the song in a hotel bathroom, after one of his buddies got passed over by a woman who said yes to an actual cowboy.
CARRIE UNDERWOODhas donated $10,000 to help an injured police officer from her hometown in Oklahoma. Police chief Justin Durrett suffered multiple neck injuries after his truck ran off the road, flipped, and pinned him underneath. She donated to a GoFundMe account in his name.
- Germans love beer so much that the country’s Olympians are drinking non-alcoholic beer instead of Gatorade. The doctor for Germany’s Olympic ski team says just about ALL of the athletes under his care drink non-alcoholic beer during training . . . and the German brewery Krombacher sent a whopping 3,500 liters of non-alcoholic beer to the Olympic Village, for the 153 members of Team Germany. That’s just under 925 gallons. Of course, they aren’t ONLY drinking the non-alcoholic stuff. Krombacher also sent 11,000 liters of ALCOHOLIC beer, which is nearly 3,000 gallons.
- KIRSTIE ALLEY upset the CURLING world when she Tweeted: “I’m not trying to be mean, but curling is boring.” But Team USA’s curlers had a sense of humor, Tweeting, “We’re not trying to be mean either, but your movies weren’t exactly riveting theater, Kirstie.” Kirstie later Tweeted: “I’m gonna give it another chance! My son loves watching Curling! He doesn’t love figure skating, which I do, so we can make each other give second chances today!”
- South Korea’s female curlers have nicknames like Pancake, Steak, and Annie, which is a reference to Yogurt. The other girls’ nicknames are Chocho and Sunny, and as a team, they call themselves the Garlic Girls.
- The so-called ‘Selfie Olympics’ on Twitter are back, after someone recently brought back the hash-tag, which went viral during the 2014 Winter Olympics. Mashable.com has a few of the best ones so far. The rules: It needs to be a mirror selfie, and it requires PROPS.
- Olympian Gus Kenworthy posted a photo of himself, where he’d pulled his pants down to show his massive bruise.
- If you’re a fan of Leslie Jones AND Adam Rippon, you’ll probably enjoy them working TOGETHER.
- Lindsey Vonn was looking for one more Gold medal in women’s downhill last night, but had to settle for Bronze. She still managed to break a record though. At 33, she’s now the oldest female Alpine skier to EVER medal at the Olympics. She still has a slim chance at one more medal in the women’s combined tomorrow night.
- The U.S. men’s hockey team needed to beat the Czech Republic last night to keep their medal hopes alive, but could NOT pull out a win.
- Ladies figure skating kicked off with the women’s short program. The top American is Mirai Nagasu, who’s in 9th going into tomorrow’s free skate. She’s the one who landed a triple axel in the team event last week, and became the first woman to ever do it in the Olympics. She tried it again last night but FELL. So unfortunately, she probably can’t win a medal at this point.
Blanket Jackson is 16 Corbin Bleu is 29 Charlotte Church is 32. Mary Chapin Carpenter is 60.
Kelsey Grammer is 63.